Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ethics in eLearning

http://www.eafinc.org/services/training_networking/images/webinars_on_demand.JPG


In the United States, online education or eLearning is the fastest growing sector of the higher education. But ethical dilemmas are faced by online educational programs on the quality of the learning outcomes. Both the eLearning consumer and provider are faced with a host of moral challenges.

In a study for the American Council on Education, described early patterns of inappropriate behavior in eLearning. Some academic fraud categories were identified in the eLearning environment. For example: Improper use of academic resources, misuse of sources on paper and projects, writing assistance and  other inappropriate tutoring, disrespecting the work of others, lack of adherence to copyright and copy protection, inappropriate assistance on examinations, and lack of adherence to academic regulations. These categories of academic fraud in the eLearning setting would be equivalent to cheating in academics. What leads to academic fraud in eLearning is also comparable to the incentive for cheating in the on campus setting: pressure for grades, and lack of knowledge on the academic regulations.

Academic providers or eTeachers also face the important moral challenge of maintaining the quality of educational process. The provider must be considerate to new ways of transmitting information and assuring reliable communication, because simply publishing the academic catalog on a website may just not be enough. In this process of communicating, the provider must assure that it is the actual eLearner who is in the communication and that no fraud is being committed.

It has to be recognized that the basic purpose of eLearning is a moral good. No one can’t argue that is not a moral good to make education available to those who have been deprived from it because of many circumstances. However there are ethical vulnerabilities and risks that must be addressed in the process.

Sources:

6 comments:

  1. I can kind of relate to this, I took a couple online courses here at UNCC and I believe that the courses are great in all if you stick with it and do your own studying and rather teach yourself but in my opinion I would rather have someone that I can talk to and teach me. Even though today's society it becoming more technological I do not believe they should move more towards these methods and stick the more conventional methods of teaching. (jcapatin@uncc.edu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have taken some classes online, and even though it's more convenient for those who work and have other priorities, it's easier to miss a test or a homework because you only check your class when you have time. You are right about that you pretty much teach yourself, because you don't have an actual instructor and can't take notes like a regular class. I also believe that we should stick to the old method of teaching and learning.

      Delete
  2. courses online might be good for some topics (courses) but not for all topics. I think that math and science courses should be in class teaching and homework should be online. art and history
    Online classes only discusses topics that are directly related to the course the student took and no other extra subjects. The course materials are always given online through text, audio or video downloads. So the students have the option to go through them later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on that, because math and science are courses that most of the time we need help with, and when we take them online we don't have the instructor so we can ask questions, so at the end we end up teach ourselves. But then again there are some students that are more visual and do great at these courses. The materials given online are always helpful but only if the student does go through them and if it's well explained by the provider.

      Delete
  3. I received my associate's degree last summer from CPCC. The majority of my courses I took were online. I personally feel it is a great alternative to being in the classroom. Not only did we have test, which were timed, so if you were not up on the material you would have a hard time completing the test in the time given. We also had weekly assignments that were required for the course which included discussions, and we also made use of the websites provided by the book publishing companies. I am an advocate for online learning, and personally did better in my courses. That is not to say they were easier, I just learned better that way. I have a 45 minute drive one way to campus, and on my long drive one day found that I drive 11 hours a week to and from school. That for me could be much better spent in the comfort of my own home studying, than having to go to class where I do not get much benefit from being in lectures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people do benefit a lot from online courses. Saving 11 hours of commute time is great, it means more time to dedicate to other things, family, work, etc. I also received my associate's degree in CPCC and took some online classes. They seem easier but only if we did read the material. Taking those online classes also saved me from a a lot of time that I spent with my family.

      Delete